I am not a makeup expert by any means, but makeup is kind of a big deal when it comes to photography so I make a point of paying attention to what the experts have to say.
Towards that end I came across a fun article written by Tynan Sinks (a contributing writer at Allure) about the best drug store makeup buys. His suggestions were surprising to me so I thought I would share his picks with you.
1. L'Oreal True Match Foundation. He described this foundation as light, natural with a soft touch and some SPF. (Because of the SPF, I would NOT recommend this for photoshoots- but we can talk more about this later.)
2. Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation. I did not know this but Wet n Wild is a cruelty-free brand (Yay!). He described their formula as luxurious with finish that dries matte.
3. NYX HD Photogenic Concelaer. He says this is creamy, hydrating and "should be in everyone's makeup bag."
4. Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer. The downside of this product is that it's $15, which is expensive for a drug store product but he said that it's hard to find a high end bronzer that beats it. So there you go.
6. Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush. It has a unique putty texture that's great for blending.
7. Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder. This was originally a limited edition item but people went berserk over it so they brought it back. "As good as anything at Sephora's" is how he described it. And it's only around $5! Now you know how I feel about highlighters for photoshoots (see here) but for everyday, I know you all want this.
Maybelline's Color Sensational Lipstick is his pick for lips. Maybelline is "the MAC of the drugstore," he writes.
Maybelline's Volum' Express Mega Plush Mascara. About this he writes it's "the most underrated mascara in the drugstore." It's a gel-mousse that is light weight yet high impact. High impact is what I'm all about. I LOVE shooting eyelashes and think that even for everyday wear, mascara is worth the effort.
Tools of the Trade
Now this one isn't from Tynan but instead is my pick. Just recently the high end brand Japonesque started to carry their line of implements at Target. This is really great news because they offer really high quality products but now at a totally affordable price point. So if you are in the market for a new pair of tweezers or an eyelash curler, check them out!
I am a teen, tween, and high school senior portrait photographer in the SF east bay area.