Each February the Cal High Leadership team puts on the Formal Faire: it's a lunch-time fashion show that takes place at the quad. A prom dress boutique loans out dresses, Men's Warehouse loans tuxes, a salon donates their time doing full hair and makeup, and for the past two years I've been invited as the paparazzi. Now, I'm not typically an event photographer but I make an exception for the Formal Faire; it's always a ton of fun.
If you are in leadership and would like to bring this event to your school, here are a couple of tips to get you started.
1. Start planning early. Definitely get in touch with all the vendors *before winter break*! November is not too early to start reaching out to explain your concept to local businesses!
2. Make sure you've got a greenroom available the day of the event where the salon can set up and work on at least 6 people at once.
3. Find a good centralized location for the catwalk: hopefully outside.
4. Have people available from leadership to help the vendors set up tables near the catwalk.
5. Find a charismatic person to be the M.C. Make sure that they have accurate information about the outfits that each couple is wearing so that they can announce everything correctly.
6. Pick a fun sound track to play leading up to the event and for background music during.
7. Promote, promote, promote! Signage, IG posts, do your thing!
8. Finally, DM me if you'd like more info! Like I said, this event is so much fun-- I'm happy to help you make it happen at your school!
I am a high school senior portrait photographer in the SF east bay area.